Viz Media has uploaded a Takeshi Obata tribute trailer onto their YouTube channel. It's fun and quick to watch, but doesn't really add much to the pot of common knowledge regarding the event.
I wouldn't usually have mentioned it here, because everything shown has already been more than adequately covered by Orangepunch's report on Obata's public appearance in the US.
But Viz Media attempted to make it watchable only in the USA.
Which means that I had to take whole extra seconds over arranging matters, in order to review the thing here in Britain. Inconvenient, and not at all in the spirit of the internet.
For all that is Matt and holy, I now feel duty-bound to pass on to Death Note fans across the world the ways and means of accessing the trailer. Why?
Because access to Death Note related things should be total and unlimited, according to my Code of Conduct.
- Always yield to the Hands On Imperative. (If you're locked out, then you should open the door to Death Note content.)
- All information should be free. (Even Takeshi Obata trailers which are meant solely for the Americans.)
- Promote decentralization. (As in apply evenly across the whole globe, not just the United States.)
- Judge by our presence, not silly things like worldly location. (Ok, none of us outside the US can buy the All You Need is Kill omnibus, which the trailer promotes at the end. But we still may wish to view the trailer. I did.)
- You can create beauty and art on a computer. (And I was amused by said trailer. It was worth the minute spent watching it.)
- Computers can change your life for the better. (If Viz Media had only made it accessible to the rest of the world, then I wouldn't have bothered blogging about it. Therefore non-US readers of Death Note News would have been none the wiser, nor would they now be breaking in to watch the trailer for the sheer principle of the thing. Viz Media's life would have been better!)
Viz Media Video Takeshi Obata at NYCC 2014
How to Unlock Location Blocked YouTube Vids
- If you're from the USA, just click play and watch it.